SCPL is a Registered Society for the benefit of the community. Our objectives are clearly stated in our Governance Rules as:
The acquisition and ownership of The Kings Arms Inn, Stockland in Devon for the benefit of the local community and visitors to the area; and to maintain the premises for the enjoyment of future generations in perpetuity.
Meeting our Objectives
- We negotiated a fair purchase price with the previous owner.
- We raised finance via a Community Share Offer and vendor finance enabling us to buy the pub in January 2019.
- We refurbished the pub with local volunteers and paid tradesmen, partially financed by additional local funding via interest free loans.
- We have agreed a long term lease with a very experienced tenant team to run the pub, which re-opened in January 2020.
- We own the property, and the tenants own and run the pub business.
- We intend the Kings Arms to be More Than a Pub and we will work with the tenants to create a true social hub in the heart of Stockland village which will welcome all members of the community and visitors to the area.
- We will act as custodians of the Kings Arms, and ensure it remains in community ownership for future generations to enjoy.